Sunday, May 29, 2011

MMMM #146 TiVo Radio

     Though I've worked in TV for fifteen years now, I still love Radio. And for years I've wondered about radio receivers with a kind of built-in "TiVo" recorder...giving listeners a way to pause the radio program while you do something else.

     The new DAR.FM  is not exactly that, but similar. It's a service that lets you record radio shows in a "cloud", and tap into those shows when and where you want. Their FAQ page may do a better job than I explaining what they do (for free, by the way).

     The reason it doesn't do what I want, I think, is access.



     The most common times I to want to pause life radio are a) When I'm in the bathroom getting ready for work, and b) when I'm in the car and running into a store or something. While you can access your DAR account from a phone, that doesn't seem very practical for those applications....or am I missing something here?



     The real answer will come with Internet access in cars and bathroom etc etc. Of course that will help kill local radio even more, though as long as the commercials are heard, what's the difference when you listen? Same as with TV: there's no way for the stations to prove to advertisers that people saw/heard the ad....and fast forwarding will be too great a temptation for many people.



[The Monday Morning Media Memo is a regular feature of this blog.]

No comments:

Post a Comment