Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sgt. Lennox

     My Paternal Grandfather died decades before I was born, in fact just months after my father was born. He was a New York City Police Officer, and he died when the police truck he was in ran off a road near a police camp in upstate New York in 1923.

     Back in the Summer of 2001, I started a campaign to have his name added to the NYPD Police Memorial, honoring officers who died in the line of duty.

     Then came 9/11, and the volunteer retired officer who handles the project had more deceased officers on his hands than could ever have been predicted.

     I let it go till last year, when I made contact again and emailed various documents about the accident and his service to the force.

     Yesterday I received word that his name is officially on the memorial now, and will be added to a national memorial in D.C.

     Thank you for your service, Sgt. Lennox.

No comments:

Post a Comment