Monday, April 13, 2009

wondering and wandering...


Usually when I sit down to blog I know what I want to write about. I'm either going to review a book or recommend a film clip or on rare occasions write a little vignette about something blog-worthy which has happened to me recently.

Right now I have over a dozen books I've read and drafted book reviews for, but I'm not ready to publish any of them. I found this new (to me) wonderful artist who I'd love to write about, but I haven't had the time to do the necessary research on him yet.

Lent is over and so is my journey with Father Neuhaus and Death on a Friday Afternoon: Meditations on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross, the book Benedict's Book Club has been reading for the past six weeks. I finished it Easter Sunday evening, which was perfect timing.

I thought about writing about our evacuation Holy Thursday night when our neighborhood was on fire. Winds gusting in excess of fifty miles per hour turned a teenage prank into a nightmare for a huge section of Midwest City, Oklahoma. For us, the fires were as close as two blocks, but we were among the blessed. Not so our neighbors, some friends and members of our parish. But it seems wrong to blog about someone else's losses. The worst I had to endure was a night of wondering if I had a home. Considering I asked St. Michael to watch over it for me, all I truly was was tired.

So in the end, this is just an update, to say I'm still blogging, even though I haven't been. I wonder if I should blog. I wonder if I have anything worthwhile to say or if I'm not just wasting my time. Sometimes--and more than just occasionally--I think I don't have anything worthwhile to say. Sure, I read and review books, but I can do that just as well on goodreads. Do I need to maintain a blog too? Is it worth the effort?

In the end, I'm not sure. But then I'm not sure about a lot of things, so maybe that is the point of this blog. In this world where everyone seems so sure about everything, maybe it is worthwhile to have one lone voice crying out, "I wonder...?!"

Check out my books on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment