Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sermon in a Sentence

A Treasury of Quotations on the Spiritual Life

VOLUME 4 ST.
TERESA OF ÁVILA

Selected and Arranged by John P. McClernon

My dear friend, Morning Star, got this book for me at the Oklahoma Catholic Women's Conference. I started reading Sermon the moment she gave it to me and haven't stopped reading from it since. It is the fourth in a series of books of collected sayings from Saints who also happen to be doctors of the Church. I’ve always loved quotes and as I’ve gotten older this love has only grown. Since I returned from pilgrimage last fall my love of the saints has grown deeper and stronger. I feel drawn to call on their superior strength and wisdom constantly.

Another very dear friend suggested adding inspirational quotes to the end of messages, as a means of encouragement to souls struggling to persevere. In my younger days I know I would have shied away from such blatant evangelizing. I was a lukewarm Christian in those days. Now I don’t hesitate to wear my faith on my sleeve. If someone else doesn’t like what I believe and Who I believe in, they have the problem, not me.

In any event, I have not heard that anyone doesn’t like my quotes. In fact, I’ve had several compliments about my quotes and – since I started using Sermon in a Sentence – more than one person wanting to know where all my good quotes come from. But truthfully, I don’t put them there for anyone but myself. It's my primary responsibility to get myself to Heaven…and from what I’ve seen so far, that’s going to be challenge enough!

God bless you dear Morning Star for this book, your prayers and your constant, supportive friendship and trust!

No comments:

Post a Comment