Monday, November 12, 2007

seeing for the first time

Today I had my first surgery to remove a cataract from my left eye. I still have one on my right eye, which supposedly isn't very bad. These aren't the types of cataracts due to age, but are the fast-growing variety which sometimes occur in younger people usually as a result of steroid use--something I have never taken.

Looking through my left eye for the first time today--although painful--was really a treat. The world was bright and new-washed. Whites were white and everything shone with a glow I can't remember seeing in so long! It was so pretty! For contrast, I would close my left eye and compare the same view with what I could see with my right eye--the eye with the less-severe cataract. WOW! What a difference!

Although this picture example doesn't do it justice, it does give some idea of the change I am already seeing--only I'd add a yellowing/browning filter to the picture on the right as well. The lighthouse example is way more bright than what I am really seeing out of my right eye. And my left eye was the really bad one. I can't even imagine . . . now . . . how dark the world was that I have been seeing for so long! And how long I wonder? And how has that unnaturally darkened physical view of the world affected my overall view of the world? I will probably never know...

My next surgery is scheduled for the 26th of this month. Not really looking forward to the pain aspect . . . but to be able to see! To be able to see clearly this beautiful world! What a blessing!
P.S. Update on 13 November . . . seeing 20/20 out of my left eye for the first time since fourth grade!!!!! Wahoo!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment