Friday, November 2, 2007

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

by John Boyne

Started: 1 November 2007
Finished: 2 November 2007

It seems appropriate, although it was not intentional, I began this book on the Feast of All Saints and ended it on the Feast of All Souls. I wish I could explain why it is so perfect, but to fully appreciate that you'll just have to read the book.

This is a profound and simple work of juvenile fiction . . . well it is classified as juvenile anyway, although I'm skeptical that it really is juvenile. Ageless would be more like it.

My younger sister recommended and I tried to get it through our Metropolitan Library System. Amazingly they don't have it, so I bought a copy yesterday and couldn't put it down from the very first page.

Of course they aren't really pajamas; they are the prison garb of Auschwitz Concentration Camp inmates.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is the poignant story of two little nine year old boys, both born on the same day and living on opposite sides of a barbed wire fence which separates two very different worlds. One boy cannot get out; the other boy's father runs the camp. But when they meet at the fence, they are just little boys -- lonely and seeking a special friend in a big world they do not understand. As I read the story, I was nine again too.

I can't promise you a happy story, but then given the topic, you probably don't expect one. And anyway, we don't just read for pleasure. We also read to be moved--to have our heart enlarged by empathizing with what others have had to experience who have gone on before us. Burdens shared are burdens lightened? But mostly I just believe empathy is an enriching emotion.

I will be filling out a form to request our Library System get this book. It is soon to be made into a motion picture, so I suppose I could save myself the trouble, but some things are worth doing just because they're the right thing to do.

Read it! Thanks L'il Sis for the tip!

*****
PS I do so love to admit when I make a mistake! The OKC Metropolitan Library System did have this book! It was my error in looking it up which led me to the conclusion that they did not carry this book. When I went to request they order this book, they 'found' it for me and I am currently enjoying a nice slice of humble pie. Tasty! (10 November 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment